9.11.09

i went to moonyah today to check out Salvos' detox unit and their drug, alcohol & gambling rehab center. They definitely do a good work there!

during lunch, everyone was at the caf eating. as i was getting my food i met a really nice man named Scott. He arrived 10 weeks ago, was on heroin, and went cold turkey off of it. I was amazed! that's no easy feat. it was even more amazing hearing him accredit everything to the Big G. i still can't get over hearing addicts, ex-convicts, and the homeless talk about Jesus. its strange, but it lights my heart on fire. its so contagious! when you see someone whose heart is set ablaze, you can't help but feel the heat and catch fire.

i sat down with the other staff members who were sitting on the long table in the front. it reminded me of my highschool caf, where all the teachers sat along this sectioned off table away from the students... it seemed like an invisible divide, giving an 'us' versus 'them' kinda feel to the place. i sat there eating, and i thought about the parable of the great banquet in luke 14. i wondered if the master would've had the poor, the blind, the crippled and the lame sit off to the side and not have them join in on the feast at his table? ..my eyes fell on Scott as he was sitting there eating by himself. i felt so urged to lift up my plate and plop myself next to him... but felt social etiquette kick into play that i should stay with the people who had taken me in and showed me around the place. i wish i had greater courage. next time. i can't help but wonder just how different the atmosphere would be at their caf if everyone sat with everyone, if there were no more invisible divides.. just a random thought.

On another note, i need to get crackin on this research thing. 2 more days! :*( God help me please to focus!